Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 2020 18:03:26 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-git@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Monitoring commits on all branches

--45wtwjfwliaf7fev

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 02:00:36PM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> Mathieu mentioned: git log $foo_hash...branch_name
>=20
> That was the first time I've seen that used. All previous suggestions wer=
e HEAD, not branch_name. But they are all the same in this context?

HEAD is an alias for "whatever is currently checked-out right now".

HEAD usally points to a branch that you work on, but if you git checkout
some-commit-hash you get in a "detached HEAD" state where HEAD does not
point to a branch but to a specific commit, and it can lead to you
loosing new commits if you work from there and are not careful.=20

> * Polling git
>=20
> It is beginning to sound like the FreshPorts git code for detecting incom=
ing commits will be:
>=20
> Every N minutes, do this:
>=20
> for each repo in REPOS
>   for branch in BRANCHES
>     cd to the directory for that repo
>     git checkout branch
>     git log $branch_last_hash...HEAD

Those two should probably be `git log $branch_last_hash...$branch_name`,
you don't actually need to checkout the thing.

>     for each of those commits
>        process the commit
>     end for
>   end for
> end for
>=20
> At present, the REPOS and BRANCHES are:
>=20
> * freebsd BRANCHES=3D"master branches/2020Q4 branches/2020Q3 branches/202=
0Q2 ...etc"
> * freebsd-ports BRANCHES=3D"master stable/12 stable/11"
> * freebsd-doc BRANCHES=3D"master"

Those should probably not be static but should probably be parsed from,
for example, `git branch -a`, possibly with a --format to be easily
parsed.

--=20
Mathieu Arnold

--45wtwjfwliaf7fev