Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:05:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        Marc9@aol.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Problems with FREEBSD installation.

Marc9@aol.com writes:
> Hi. I'm trying to install FREEBSD 2.1.5 from a Pacific Hitech CDROM on a 386
> DX-33 with 8mb. The install went normally, but when I boot FREEBSD, I get the
> following messag:
>
> Fatal Trap 22: FPU device not available while in kernel mode
> Panic: FPU  device not available.
>
> Inst Pointer: 0x8:0xf01f2a63
>
> Any clue at all what I can do about this. The PC does not have a floating
> point processor, but I seriously doubt that this is a requirement..

The kernel seems to think differently.  The message is pretty
straightforward: it can't perform a floating point operation.  This
shouldn't be a big deal, since the GENERIC kernel includes a
floating-point emulator, but it's possible that the Pacific Hitech CD
includes a kernel without the emulator.  Try picking up the Walnut
Creek version, or ftp a kernel from ftp.FreeBSD.org.

Greg