Date:      	Thu, 23 Nov 1995 22:27:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cross-install

On Thu, 23 Nov 1995, Chuck Robey wrote:

> can't get one (the one called Journey2) to stay awake.  I was wondering
> if its right to mount the /usr/obj dir from the good machine (n3lxx) to
> Journey2, then to do a make install in usr/src on Journey2, and get the
> effects of a full local make world on Journey2?

  Make sure you do a "make SHARED=copies install" otherwise "install"
will just install a bunch of symlinks for stuff, which isn't good, if it
is just a temporary NFS mount.

  I don't like how "make install" requires write access.  I'd very much
like to make /usr/src and /usr/obj mountable from anywhere, but
read-only, for easy, on-the-fly upgrades of systems.

Tom