Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 95 13:41:38 EDT
From:      jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com (James Leppek)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PPP and dynamic IPs drifting a little

Speaking of IP's I was responding to this mail and recalled
the words of wisdom in the /etc/hosts file about selecting
private IPs from a set of reserved numbers that are never
to appear on the net and getting valid numbers if
you are on the net. It had mentioned 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255
as reserved.

Well, I tried to ping those to confirm they are never in use and
I got an answer! Then I tried 192.168.1.2 and it answered!!

So what is the scoop on those numbers and RFC1597?

Jim Leppek