Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 23:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/10965: lcc-3.6 unable to compile anything

The following reply was made to PR ports/10965; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: jef53313@bayou.uh.edu, jkoshy@FreeBSD.org
Cc: bde@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:12:10 +1000

 >jeff> hello.c: /usr/include/machine/ansi.h:106: invalid use of `long'
 >jeff> hello.c: /usr/include/machine/ansi.h:107: invalid use of `long'
 >
 >Has the use of 'long long' made it to any standard?   We
 >probably need to guard the use of 'long long' otherwise.

 It is in the draft C9x standard, unfortunately.  I expect this to take
 about twice as long as the C standard to become widely used (20 years
 instead of only 10 ;-).

 I hack out the long longs in <machine/ansi.h> to test compiling things
 with non-gcc compilers, but this breaks the definitions int64_t and
 u_int64_t.  Nothing that uses these definitions can possibly work
 with tcc.  E.g., stdio can't be compiled, and some hacks would have
 to be restored for <stdio.h> to even be includable.  I had hoped
 that the __attribute__(()) stuff would help hide this problem.

 Bruce