Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2012 09:32:01 -0400
From:      Andrew Boyer <aboyer@averesystems.com>
To:        O. Hartmann <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Subject:   Re: ECC memory driver in FreeBSD 10?

On Apr 9, 2012, at 6:04 AM, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Am 04/08/12 14:53, schrieb Miroslav Lachman:
>> Nikolay Denev wrote:
>>> On Apr 6, 2012, at 2:48 PM, O. Hartmann wrote:
>>>=20
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> If the hardware supports it, such errors should be logged as MCEs
>>> (Machine Check Exceptions).
>>> I can say for sure it works pretty well with Dell servers, as I had=20=

>>> one with failing RAM module, and
>>> it reported the corrected ECC errors in dmesg.
>>=20
>> Memory ECC errors are logged in to messages and you can decode it by
>> sysutils/mcelog. I did it in the past on one of our Sun Fire X2100 M2
>> with FreeBSD 8.x.
>>=20
>> Miroslav Lachman
>=20
> Seems that I have been blessed with non-faulty memory over tha past
> three or four years. Last time I saw errors was around 2000. All of =
our
> 24/7 servers do have ECC RAM.
>=20
> So, your replies all implies if I log the system's messages via syslog
> properly (as we do remotely on a centralized server), then ECC errors
> should be reported by FreeBSD/kernel in a canonical way as the =
UEFI/BIOS
> reports them?
> Without special drivers/tools, scripts which scans for those errors
> should report occurences?
>=20
> Since my (FreeBSD) boxes didn't show up errors of that kind - Linux
> boxes of a colleague did once! - doesn't imply missing capabilities.
> This is nice to hear/read.
>=20
> Thanks a lot,
>=20
> Oliver
>=20

This is what you see in syslog when sys/x86/x86/mca.c detects a memory =
error:
> Mar 16 12:37:33 hostname kernel: MCA: Bank 8, Status =
0x8c0000400001009f
> Mar 16 12:37:33 hostname kernel: MCA: Global Cap 0x0000000000001c09, =
Status 0x0000000000000000
> Mar 16 12:37:33 hostname kernel: MCA: Vendor "GenuineIntel", ID =
0x206c2, APIC ID 0
> Mar 16 12:37:33 hostname kernel: MCA: CPU 0 COR (1) RD channel ?? =
memory error
> Mar 16 12:37:33 hostname kernel: MCA: Address 0xb43ca6240
> Mar 16 12:37:33 hostname kernel: MCA: Misc 0x4ac8111000064808

mcelog will help you figure out which DIMM is affected.

Also, if your server includes an IPMI controller, the BIOS should be set =
up to log memory errors to the IPMI system event log (SEL).  You can =
look at the SEL with ipmitool from the ports collection.  'ipmitool sel =
list' will show you if any errors have been reported.

-Andrew

Andrew Boyer	aboyer@averesystems.com