Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 2016 09:48:47 +0100
To:        Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Impact of missing IPv6 support on portstree

On 06.01.2016 20:51, Mark Felder wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015, at 03:16, Torsten Zuehlsdorff wrote:
>>
>> In conclusion: if you having an IPv6 only machine, you could not build
>> 69.4 % of the ports.
>
> distcache.freebsd.org is reachable over IPv6. Distfiles should *still*
> be fetchable over IPv6, but I don't know if there are edge cases where
> distfiles aren't cached eg due to the MASTER_SITES being CHEESESHOP
> (pypi), etc.

Therefore i wrote:
"To check if a port is available for IPv6 i excluded the
distcache.freebsd.org host, because it is not part of the port."

Distcache is part of the infrastructure of FreeBSD. But it is just a
workaround for missing IPv6 support with a different set of problems and
requirements.

If i don't use the ports-tree, for example because of building
development versions i am still hit by this issue.

It is also often a time-issue. If there is a port with a security issue
i upgrade it immediately. In this case the distfile is normally not in
distcache.

Yes, we could possibly argue that the impact at the ports-tree is much
less, because of the distcache-workaround. But it is a workaround and
not intended to fix the IPv6 issues. It is sponsored and there is no
guarantee of uptime. This servers can went away anytime.

Also it is just a mask for the basic problem. IPv6 exists for 15 years,
IPv4 addresses are nearly exhausted and IPv6-only connections increases
rapidly, while many services are not reachable via IPv6.

Therefore we need more persons to be aware of this problem.

Greetings,
Torsten