Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:04:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Anders Rimmer" <anders@rimmerdk.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 4.2 on my AlphaServer 1000 hangs...

Anders Rimmer writes:
 > Hi Everyone!
 >
 > I have recently purchased an AlphaServer 1000 5/300 with a total of 256 megs of ram and 4x4.3 GB UW disks, CDROM-drive and a tape streamer.
 >
 > Now, I wanted only the best, so I decided to install FreeBSD 4.2 on the beast, also 'coz I am purchasing another Alpha (600au) soon, which also needs some installing.
 >
 > Well, the problem is, that when I type "boot dka600" in the srm console (where dka600 is my scsi cdrom), FreeBSD boots, only to hang at "waiting 15 seconds for scsi devices to settle"...
 >
 > What the h*** is going on?

I wrote the platform support code for the AS1000 series & there's a
serious bug in it which I corrected around DEC 6th (post 4.2-RELEASE).
This bug affects AS1000 with ev5 cpus and AS1000A with ev4 cpus (I'd
assumed that AS1000 was always ev4 and AS1000A was always ev5; this is
not true).  This bug would result in the behavour you are seeing.

I suggest installing using
http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/4.2.kern.flp and then upgrading to
a very recent -stable after you've installed (I just MFC'ed the fix).

Remember, the kernel that you're extracting from media during the
install will be broken, so you need to mount the kern.flp floppy and
copy off the working kernel after you install.

Sorry!

Drew