Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:10:25 -0400
From:      Matthew Hagerty <matthew@digitalstratum.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard disk going-bad detection

Greetings,

I have a hard drive that every now and then makes a sound like the head
is moving from one extreme to the other, then parking.  It is hard to
explain, kind of a towk-kok-click with a metallic ring to it.  If you
have heard a drive do this before, you know the sound.  I heard a drive
do this to me a few months ago and it failed shortly thereafter.

I have 3 drives in the system so it is very hard to know which drive it
is, so in an attempt to get a new drive before the one fails out right,
is there any way I can test the drives in place?  One drive is primarily
my system disk (20G), the second (120G) has /usr mounted on it, and the
third (120G) is mounted, rsync'd, umounted every night to make a backup
of the other two.  So, the backup drive I can test no problem, even
destructively if necessary.  However, the two that make up the active
system I would like to be able to test without disrupting normal
operation if possible?  But, I'll take the box offline for a bit if
necessary.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Matthew