Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 06:50:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Stable Users)
Subject:   gdb broken in latest -stable?

I've run into a strange problem on -stable: I can't even start
programs under gdb:

  # gdb add
  GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
   under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
  There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
  GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd), Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...

  Breakpoint 1 at 0x1646: file add.c, line 9.
  (gdb) r
  Starting program: /usr/home/grog/add

  Program terminated with signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
  The program no longer exists.
  You can't do that without a process to debug
  (gdb) b start
  Breakpoint 2 at 0x1040
  (gdb) r
  Starting program: /usr/home/grog/add

  Program terminated with signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
  The program no longer exists.
  You can't do that without a process to debug
  (gdb)

This works just fine with -current.

  (gdb) b main
  Breakpoint 1 at 0x1646: file add.c, line 9.
  (gdb) r
  Starting program: /usr/home/grog/add

  Breakpoint 1, main (argc=1, argv=0xefbfd40c) at add.c:9
  9         unsigned long sum = 0;
  (gdb)

The program itself is trivial, I've just recompiled it, and in any
case, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the program.  If I
try running -stable gdb under -current, I get:

  (gdb) b main
  Breakpoint 1 at 0x1646: file add.c, line 9.
  (gdb) r
  Starting program: /usr/home/grog/add
  reading register eip (#8): Bad address.
  (gdb)

I don't know whether this is related to the problem, or whether it's
because of a mismatch between the kernels.  If this is a general
problem, I'd say it's a showstopper.

Greg