Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 01:49:41 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp11.tar.gz

Tnks.

My ISP's T1 is back up again.

Just finished cleaning up all the debugging messages and we now have
proper reporting.

The hang on close is still with us however the process will
exit after 10 seconds.

The problem is this in sb16_dsp:dsp_output_block

   sb_dsp_command(0x41);
    sb_dsp_command((u_char) ((dsp_current_speed >> 8) & 0xff));
    sb_dsp_command((u_char) (dsp_current_speed & 0xff));
    sb_dsp_command((u_char) (dsp_16bit ? 0xb6 : 0xc6));
    dsp_count = cnt;
    sb_dsp_command((u_char) ((dsp_stereo ? 0x20 : 0) +
                                (dsp_16bit ? 0x10 : 0)));
    sb_dsp_command01((u_char) (cnt & 0xff));
    sb_dsp_command((u_char) (cnt >> 8));

Does anyone know how to initiate a partial dma request while doing
auto dma for a SB16 ? I don't know the SB chipset ....

I will try to track down the click and pops and why 16 bit recording is
not working. The latter one should not be too hard to track down .
The click and pop at the beginning of a sound stream is an interesting
problem . I have a quick idea  on how to get rid of so with a little luck
should have another driver ready tomorrow.

	Regards,
	Amancio

>From The Desk Of Randall Hopper :
>  |New sound driver release with important signal handling fix.
>  |The nagging problem with the SB16 hanging or repeating
>  |sound clips at the end is gone.
>  |If you want to know more about the fixes that went in see:
>  |sound/REAMDE.GUSPNP in the tar ball.
>
> Just got a chance to pull it and run it past all the audio tests I can
> think of with my SB32.  Here's the results:
>
> 1) Thanks for the good work on repeating and close() hanging fix!  Did
>    not hear any repeats, and when I allowed audio play apps to finish
>    playing and terminate normally, I never saw them hang on close().
>
>    The only time I saw a hang was when I Ctrl-Ced the app in the middle
>    of playback (e.g. mpg123); not all the time--sporatically as before.
>
>    So as far as this specific problem goes (hanging), this driver is better
>    than the checked-in version.
>
> 2) Load pops on start/end of AU playback.   Still there.  Don't see this
>    with the checked-in driver.
>
> 3) Attempts to record 16-bit samples gives "Input/Output Error" now instead
   of the "Interrupted system call" before.  For each failure, I get one of