Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:15:13 -0500
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Chris Tubutis <chris@tci.com>
Cc:        "Jukka A. Ukkonen" <jau@jau.tmt.tele.fi>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd netscape-communicator-4.5 crash when clicking mailto-anchors

Chris Tubutis wrote:

> "Jukka A. Ukkonen" wrote:
> >
> >         Howdy!
> >
> >         Has anyone else seen this happen with communicator-4.5 when
> >         clicking mailto-anchors?
> >
> >    400 communicator-4.5 PSIG SIGALRM caught handler=0x9067b0 mask=0x0 code=0x0
> >    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  gettimeofday(0xefbfbb4c,0)
> >    400 communicator-4.5 RET   gettimeofday 0
> >    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  sigreturn(0xefbfbbe8)
> >    400 communicator-4.5 RET   sigreturn JUSTRETURN
> >    400 communicator-4.5 PSIG SIGALRM caught handler=0x9067b0 mask=0x0 code=0x0
> >    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  gettimeofday(0xefbfbacc,0)
> >    400 communicator-4.5 RET   gettimeofday 0
> >    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  sigreturn(0xefbfbb68)
> >    400 communicator-4.5 RET   sigreturn JUSTRETURN
> >    400 communicator-4.5 PSIG SIGSEGV caught handler=0x908620 mask=0x0 code=0xc
> >    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  getpid
> >    400 communicator-4.5 RET   getpid 400/0x190
> >    400 communicator-4.5 CALL  kill(0x190,0xa)
> >    400 communicator-4.5 PSIG  SIGBUS SIG_DFL
> >    400 communicator-4.5 NAMI  "communicator-4.5.core"
> >
> >         First it gets a segmentation violation, tries to recover from
> >         that one, and immediately (and rightfully) gets also a bus error.
> >
> >         In general it is rather hard to recover from SIGSEGV, because
> >         there is nothing much else to do, but a stack unwind, which
> >         may fail, because the stack frames are already messed up.
> >         So, the second SIGBUS is to be expected, but why does it generate
> >         the SIGSEGV?
> >
> >         Oops, I almost forgot this, but the binary is the one available
> >         among 2.2.8 packages at ftp.freebsd.org. I did not compile it
> >         locally myself.
> >
> >         Any tips and ideas would be welcome.
>
> I think this is a known bug at Netscape - at least it is with the Solaris
> version.  The workaround is to first open up the mail/news reader before
> clicking any mailto links.  The number of bugs in Netscape is atrocious
> enough that I often use lynx for Web browsing.  With AOL buying it, I
> don't know that the situation will get any better....
>
> ct

And there are many more... My netscape 4.5 will not let mails on my
server if I say him to do so. I loosed 3 day of mails like that...
And netscape-mail crash a lot.
I think I will move to another mail reader.
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/]
[French piss me off - Cartman, South Park][http://9.nws.net/]