Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 14:09:43 -0400
From:      Lance M.Westerhoff <lmw188@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DB2 on FreeBSD??

Hello all-

I'm not sure if this is the right list to send this question on, but....

In the coming weeks we will be building a 20 processor (10 node) AMD
2000+ MP cluster, and I would really like us to try to use FreeBSD
instead of Linux.  If these machines would only be used to run
computations, I suspect we would have no trouble at all.  But, we will
also be connecting a 1.5TB RAID to two of the machines (one will be used
to serve databases and web pages, and the other will be a file and
application server).

So far, it seems that FreeBSD will support the QLogic 2200 FibreChannel
cards we will be installing in the two machines.  Further, it seems that
FreeBSD will be ok with the EuroLogic, dual controller RAID.  Obviously
as long as we can recompile the code using g77 and gcc, any
computational software will probably run without a hitch (and
potentially better then on a Linux system).  What about database
software?  As the databases grow, I expect each of them to encompass
several TB, so I don't think MySQL will work in the long run (though I
could be wrong).  Therefore, we are looking at commercial database
solutions.  From the FreeBSD page, it seems that Linux-Oracle8 will run
(I assume that 9 will as well??).  Does anyone know about DB2 from IBM?
Being a University, we have a much much better deal with IBM then with
Oracle.  Other ideas?  Lastly, what sort of performance hit, if any, can
we expect with using a Linux-native DBMS with FreeBSD's Linux
compatibility libraries?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Lance
Lance M. Westerhoff
PennState Chemistry Graduate Researcher &
	UNIX Systems Administrator
	- Merz Computational Biochemistry Research Group
Phone:	814-863-7591
Email:	lance@mac.com
Web:	http://merz.chem.psu.edu/~lance/