Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 19:24:18 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        "Brandon S. Allbery " KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster editor problem

On 25 Dec 2002 at 22:01, Brandon S. Allbery boldly uttered:

> On Wed, 2002-12-25 at 21:33, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> >     "%ex/vi: Vi's standard input and output must be a terminal
> (...)
> >     mergemaster -v -C -w 132 2>&1 |tee -a <logfile>
>
> So vi's standard output wasn't a terminal (it was the pipe to tee).
> Sounds like "working as designed" to me.

OK, I see your point - does the same thing if I use vi by itself
piped to tee.

So any suggestion on how to make this work without giving up the log
of the general Mergemaster process? (all too often stuff scrolls by
that I have to deal with later so the log is important to me)

I know about the "script" command but according to the manpage:

    "Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the
    typescript file.  The script utility works best with commands that
    do not manipulate the screen."

(Actually I don't mind garbage in the output logfile, as long as it
doesn't corrupt the rest of the file.  I can just ignore or remove
that section.)

TIA,

Phil

--