Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:36:58 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Subject:   Re: Style Wars

I hate to bring this up again, but I almost threw up when I went to look
at proc.h after david 'style(9)'d it. (It looks like the result of same).
(Not David's fault, but style(9)..)

I propose that we modify the following prargraph in style(9) from:

     When declaring variables in structures, declare them sorted by use, then
     by size, and then by alphabetical order.  The first category normally
     doesn't apply, but there are exceptions.  Each one gets its own line.
     Put a tab after the first word, i.e. use `int^Ix;' and `struct^Ifoo *x;'.

to:
     When declaring variables in structures, declare them sorted by use, then
     by size, and then by alphabetical order.  The first category normally
     doesn't apply, but there are exceptions.  Try to make the structure
     readable by aligning the variable names using either one or two tabs
     depending upon your judgement. Names following extremely long types
     should be separated by a simple space. i.e. use int^I^Ix; and
     struct foo^I*x; and struct verylongtypename *bar;

This approximates 1b).

If I don't hear a large outcry (it was a loud 'yes' last time but I didn't
see an agreement that it should be done) then I'd like to make that change.