Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 2010 01:22:51 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: resize freebsd slice

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 02:17:17 +0300, Giorgos Tsiapaliokas <terietor@gmail.com> wrote:
> /mnt/hd/ is the directory of my external hard disk and /mnt/hd/FBSD is the
> directory of "FBSD" folder within the hard disk.

Please try to use the correct terminology (yes, I know, I'm picky
about that): FreeBSD has directories, not "folders". I assume you
don't call files "sheets of paper". :-)

> i created the file root.dump in /mnt/hd/FBSD and i gave the command "dump
> -0Lauf /mnt/hd/FBSD/root.dump /"

You don't need to create a file - dump will do that.

> the result is:
>
> DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sat Jun 12 02:05:36 2010
> >   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
> >   DUMP: Dumping snapshot of /dev/ad0s3a (/) to /mnt/hd/FBSD/root.dump
> >   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
> >   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
> >   DUMP: estimated 6859984 tape blocks.
> >   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
> >   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
> >   DUMP: write error 4194320 blocks into volume 1
> >   DUMP: Do you want to restart?: ("yes" or "no")
> >

> is it ok?

Doesn't look that way. "write error 4194320 blocks into volume 1"
seems to indicate that the file counldn't successfully be written.
and the retry request suggests that something went wrong.

> P.S.:my hard disk is a FAT file system not a UFS.

I guessed right. :-) Make sure you can acutally write a 6.5 GB
file on it. FAT usually has problems with big files.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany