Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:32:23 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        David.Bear@asu.edu
Cc:        "Justin P. Michel" <jpmichel@jcontinuum.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KVM (keyboard-video-mouse) Switch

David Bear wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:21:41PM -0500, Justin P. Michel wrote:
>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>I have an electronic KVM that I want to use to switch between my crappy
>>system, and my FreeBSD system.  The keyboard and mouse work fine on my
>>crappy system, but, on the FreeBSD system, they work fine on startup, but
>>after switching back and forth only once, the mouse (LED mouse) starts
>
> I'm using a linksys kvm switch to go between linux (rh 7.3), freebsd
> (4.6), and windows2000.  The only problem I have is with win2000.  The
> switch must be set to that machine during windows startup or windows
> doesn't think there's a mouse..

I acutally had a similar problem between two FreeBSD systems.  I have a
tendency to believe that whether or not a KVM works reliably is more
dependent on the PC hardware than the OS.
In our case, the workaround was to ensure that the KVM was set to the
system that was actively being [re]booted.  As long as that's done,
we've had no problems.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies