Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 07:37:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rohit Panda <prohit99@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   modular support in freebsd kernel

--0-777095225-1027262259=:12776

hi,

how can we have modular support for some devices in the freebsd kernel.i have been working on linux,and as u people will be quite familiar that we can have modular support for most of the devices in the linux kernel(e.g sound).Is there anyway for me to configure the kernel so that i decide which all devices will be modular.

i actually want to configure a kernal of a very minimal size, comparable to what i used to achive in a linux kernel(somewhere around 750k).i have used a gzipped kernel of around 1.5M from 3.5M uncompressed.i have freebsd 4.4 which dosent have support for bzip2 compressed kernels.iam gonna try that soon, as the bzip2 compression is a more efficient one then gzip.i am aware of floppy ditributions like picobsd,but i want my own configured kernel.

any help and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

thanks and reagards

rohit

WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY ERASE IS BACKSPACE
        -- Richard Stallman

(On bra burning)
It's alot easier to undress somebody with your eyes when you can see their
nipples.

--0-777095225-1027262259=:12776

<P>hi,</P>
<P>how can we have modular support for some devices in the freebsd kernel.i have been working on linux,and as u people will be quite familiar that we can have modular support for most of the devices in the linux kernel(e.g sound).Is there anyway for me to configure the kernel so that i decide which all devices will be modular.</P>
<P>i actually want to configure a kernal of a very minimal size, comparable to what i used to achive in a linux kernel(somewhere around 750k).i have used a gzipped kernel of around 1.5M from 3.5M uncompressed.i have freebsd 4.4 which dosent have support for bzip2 compressed kernels.iam gonna try that soon, as the bzip2 compression is a more efficient one then gzip.i am aware of floppy ditributions like picobsd,but i want my own configured kernel.</P>
<P>any help and suggestions will be highly appreciated.</P>
<P>thanks and reagards </P>
<P>rohit</P><BR><BR><P>WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY ERASE IS BACKSPACE<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Richard Stallman<BR></P>
<P>(On bra burning)<BR>It's alot easier to undress somebody with your eyes when you can see their<BR>nipples.</P>
--0-777095225-1027262259=:12776--