Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:26:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fxtv 0.4

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> >From The Desk Of Doug White :
> > The newest version of the driver breaks my system worse than it already
> > was.  :(  You can look at what I get out from a screenshot at
> If I am not mistaken you need to modify the driver to work in your case.
> remember the mods that you did to the driver??
>

> > http://gdi.uoregon.edu/redscreen.gif.  It looks like the gamma correction
> > is off in the RGB_24 case.   It says it's falling back to Ximage, btw.
> >
> > Why are the color_ctl flags _forced_ to the settings with = and not |= in
> > rgb_prog?  I'm probably asking the wrong person, so this is to the list...
>
> It doesn't matter for now because we are not doing byte or word swapping.

Erm, okay.  As I mentioned my video is messed up anyway; I'm not getting
smurfs, I'm getting black shapes (ie white<->black inversion) in direct
video mode.

> In the same routine there is this comment:
>
> /* FIXME: why set colorbars for 1 instant ??? */
> 	bt848->color_ctl = BT848_COLOR_CTL_COLOR_BARS;
> /* FIXME: undone 4 lines later, why bother ??? */
> 	bt848->color_ctl = BT848_COLOR_CTL_GAMMA;
>
> Careful here because some of this stuff was written after I read
> Brooktree's DOS demo. Some of these chipsets are cranky and yes
> we can experiment by taking the lines out.

This sort of assignment is what confused me (and John-Mark Gurney, who
does some documentation work and is a committer).  We were going to put
the changes into the start_(whatever) function, but after further research
we found this stuff that basically spammed our changes.  So we went into
rgb_prog and put the change in after it got done doing assignments.  I
didn't feel like playing around and seeing what's important and what's not
-- I assumed since it was there it was doing some sort of initialization
with the card, perhaps playing with it a bit to make sure the card is in a
known state.

> I am going to go thru the driver and examine each FIXME comment.

Cool, thanks.