Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:01:41 +1000
From:      Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        conrads@cox.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Next Generation" kernel configuration?

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 11:53, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> On 21-Jul-2004 Max Laier wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 July 2004 03:03, Brooks Davis wrote:
> >> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:39:31PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> >> You can have my simple flat file kernel config when you pry it from
> >> my cold, dead hands and I know a number of other develoeprs share
> >> this viewpoint.  All my experiences with the linux visual kernel
> >> config tool have been annoying and I've got friends with more
> >> expierence with it that have much less kind things to say.
> >
> > Add me to the list. And this realates to sys/conf/* as well
> > (respondig to the re-reply). Especially developers prefer *clean*,
> > *simple* config files and I (personally) would really really hate to
> > twiddle with some insane XML just to add something to the build!
>
> Oh, agreed, definitely.  Wasn't even thinking XML (yuck!).  :-)
>
> Basically, I'm just thinking of a layout which, in the simplest,
> cleanest manner possible, would allow a "make config"-like tool to
> extract the information it needed, so options could be presented to
> the user along with their descriptions, if so desired.  I don't have a
> clear-cut idea just yet of how this might be done, to be honest.  :-)
>
> >> That said, so long as it doesn't impose too much developer burden,
> >> an improved set of backend files that did a better job of handling
> >> dependencies and knew which options where relevent given the
> >> configured set of devices could be useful.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/todo.html has a "Desired
> > features"-item saying: "Revised kld build infrastructure", which
> > will pretty much interfere with this. You might want to contact with
> > the current owner (peter@) and hear what he has to say.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  I'll check into that.
>
> > Other than that, I'd welcome a somewhat enriched config
> > environment as long as it is done reasonable and makes the job
> > easier! And please: NO XML!
>
> Cool.  And not to worry.  No XML.  :-)
>
> >> There is a valid question of what a depenency means.  For instance,
> >> you can't really have IP networking without lo(4) (there's a null
> >> pointer derefrence if you try), but since you can load it as a
> >> module, should you have to compile it in?
> >
> > There should be levels of dependencies ... i.e. the TBD config-tool
> > would (strongly) suggest that you build-in lo(4) into an "options
> > INET" kernel, but should not stop you to do else.
>
> Exactly.  That's the sort of thing I had in mind.
>
> I realize this is a fairly large undertaking, and hearing that others
> have already made attempts but have yet to produce anything makes me a
> little uncertain about it all, but I do think it's something worth
> exploring.  And it'll keep me off the streets and out of trouble for a
> good while, too.  :-)
>
> If I manage to come up with anything reasonable, you'll hear about it
> here.

As an initial starting point for 'preloading' any menubased kernel
configurator, could the file /var/run/dmesg.boot be usefully parsed as
a list of 'this is what is actually installed in this box, what else do
you want to add?" Of course any output developed on a run of the
configurator would/could/should be scanned as well to include answers to
the question.."What did I include last time?"

0.02c

--
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.

This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.