Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:23:19 +0100
From:      Julian Djamil Fagir <gnrp@komkon2.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Updating fscd

--Sig_/hZ.X.bflZ/QBtp69f=6j5cs

Hi,

fscd by Tom Rhodes (see http://people.freebsd.org/~trhodes/fsc/) is a *very*
nice tool for administrators, and I want to use it with our computers.
But there were some usability flaws and he unfortunately didn't have time to
continue working on it.

These are my modifications, based on the last version he worked on:
 * there is a configuration file with one service per line, which should be
   monitored when starting up.
 * there is no database anymore, and no pidfiles being saved. You just need
   the service name (as processed by rc(8)), the rest will be fetched from
   rc(8)/service(8).
 * the whole startup of a service is now outsourced to service(8). We don't
   check pids anymore, we only ask service for the service's status and pids
   and then monitor these, the same after restarting.
 * several internal changes. The code from Tom Rhodes was nice, but when I
   worked on it it was easier for me to think of my own code structure
   instead of thinking into his ones. Anyway, most of his structure and code
   is still in it.
 * everything works and compiles in NetBSD. I'd like to see the service bei=
ng
   named something more generic (bscd? ;), but I'm not the one to decide up=
on
   the code of others.
   There were some minor incompatibilities, though nothing you couldn't fix
   in five minutes, I'd prefer having a single codebase instead of two
   diverging ones.

To use it, you:
 * power up fscd with `fscd` (nothing more)
 * enable a service with `fscadm enable $SERVICE`
 * stop monitoring it with `fscadm disable $SERVICE`
 * show status with `fscadm status`
 * close fscd with `fscadm shutdown` (or kill[all])

You can also supply the option `-s` to fscd and fscadm to specify the socket
to be used instead of the standard one (/var/run/fscd.sock).
You can as well supply the option `-c` to fscd to specify the configuration
file to be used instead of the standard one (/etc/fscd.conf).

You can download it here:
    https://vcs.in-berlin.de/schrank21_fscd/ (Files->Version->Tarball)
NOTE: The manpages are *out of date*, they will be updated soon.

Any comments, questions, further change requests, etc.? If you think the
changes are sane, I'll also update the manpages.

Regards, Julian

PS: Please include me in the replies, I'm not subscribed to this list.

--Sig_/hZ.X.bflZ/QBtp69f=6j5cs

--Sig_/hZ.X.bflZ/QBtp69f=6j5cs--