Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 18:11:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, phk@critter.tfs.com, imb@scgt.oz.au, julian@ref.tfs.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changes in -current..TEST please

> >I am *NOT* deleting files!
> >
> >I am:
> >1)	SUP the CVS
> >2)	cd /sys
> >3)	cvs update .
>
>    You should be using "cvs update -Pd".
>
> >*BOOM*
> >
> >The problem occurs because the files do not exist in the first place, not
> >because they existed, but then I murdered them.
> >

> >Are they supposed to be in my checked out copy of the tree?
> >
> >How does the CVS come to the conclusion that the should exist -- it checks
> >the repository data, right?
>
>    Wrong. It is checking for them in the current directory. If you check out
> another copy someplace, I think you'll find that the cvs update *does* work as
> expected and that the real problem is your checked out copy has some .# state
> that is missing. How it got rm'd I can only guess.

I fix it by:

cd /sys/isofs/cd9660
mv cd9660_vnops.c cd9660_vnops.c.bozo
cvs update cd9660_vnops.c		[ complains file was lost ]
rm cd9660_vnops.c
mv cd9660_vnops.c.bozo cd9660_vnops.c

Next time there is a mod to the file on Freefall that gets pulled down
via SUP, I will have the same problem.

The file is checked out.

I have not done any checkins to get lost when I SUP.

Rechecking out the file fixes the problem.

After I recheckout the file, my CVSROOT/history file contains the line:

U30c63b5d|terry|/b/cvstree/usr.*0|src/sys/isofs/cd9660|1.23|cd9660_vnops.c

If I manually remove this line, the problem will recurr.

Clearly, the problem is that the history file (which comes down with the
SUP!) for my local checkouts vs. the files I have modified does not match
for the rev I have checked out.

Would you agree?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org