Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:28:03 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP is stable now. Whee! :)

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> John Baldwin writes:
>  > Hey all.
>  >
>  > Drew, Doug, and I have finally gotten this thing mostly whipped.  I haven'
>  > done a buildworld yet, but I've built kernels and then booted them without
     any
>  > problems.  There are still some issues with some of the accounting on SMP
>  > systems, but UP systems should run fine with the current set of outstandin
>  > patches.  I'd appreciate it if people could test the current set of patche
    s.
>  > You can find them at:
>  >
>  >         http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/alpha.smp.patch
>  >
>  > So far this has been tested on a dual 4100 with both SMP and UP kernels.
>  > Drew has found a problem with critical_enter/exit, but other than that I e
    xpect
>  > it to run fine on SMP 2100's as well.  Also, SMP is noticably faster than
    UP on
>  > the 4100 I have here to test on at least, which is a good thing. :)
>  >

> I'm happy to report that with this patchset, plus the
> cricical_enter/exit changes I just committed, a dual cpu 2100 made it
> through a buildworld last night just fine ;)
>
> Drew

I just fired it up on a UP2000+ w/ dual 833MHz cpus (4MB DDR L2 cache each)
and it was rather uneventful.

That is.. it was until I typed 'make -j4 world':
lock order reversal
 1st clk last acquired @ ../../alpha/alpha/clock.c:569
 2nd 0xfffffc00006ce728 smp rendezvous @ ../../alpha/alpha/mp_machdep.c:605
 3rd 0xfffffc00006d9870 clk @ ../../alpha/alpha/clock.c:390
[hang]

This is with alpha.smp.patch, plus the stuff recent commits.  I had to change
some #idef's into #ifdefs in alpha/trap.c though.

Cheers,
-Peter