Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 17:02:31 +0200
From:      Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>
To:        Marc Wandschneider <MarcW@Lanfear.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: latest gcc?

> gcc appears to be up to version 2.95 or so.
>
> Question:  Is there a way to update the 2.7.2 that comes with
> 3.3 release to this version?  or, do I have to download and build
the
> latest, put it in /usr/local/bin as gcc, and unlink /usr/bin/gcc so
that
> cc still works with 2.7 ...
>
> any recommendations?

Yep, though it's probably not what you want: don't upgrade. When the
release was made, a whole lot newer version of gcc was available, and
wasn't included for a reason: gcc 2.7.1.2 (or whatever it is) is the
best cross between beinng latest and being good - gcc 2.8 introduced
bugs that render it unusable for lots of tasks. 2.9 is no different.
If you want a more modern compiler, use egcs, probably from ports.

Cheers,

Oren Sarig
sarig@bezeqint.net