Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 16:13:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>] natd coexisting with rpc.statd+nfs

Well, my diagnosis at this point is that something is wrong
;-)

In checking the rpcinfo man page, if no host is supplied on
the command line, it uses the response from the command
"hostname".  I suspect that something is wrong with your
host name setup.  Type hostname and see if something comes
back.  Then make sure that hostname is registered with your
DNS provider.

This would also explain why rcp.statd appears to hang, it
cannot identify the machine it is executing on.  I would
also make sure that you have an entry in your /etc/hosts
file of localhost 127.0.0.1.

Either you have no hostname, or the hostname you have
assigned is not in the DNS or is different from what the
DNS thinks it is.  I think this may be the problem!

Gene