Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:06:48 -0600
From:      Matt Meola <mmeola@lookout.uswc.uswest.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fetchmail

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 05:47:48PM -0400, William Melanson wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Rick Knebel wrote:
>
> %
> % Hi,
> % I want to start fetchmail as root during bootup.
> % What file should I put it into?
> %
>
> I'd put a simple shell script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d in which it starts
> off by sleeping for say... 30 seconds (or however long it'll take for your
> box to come up and establish network connection) then execute fetchmail
> accordingly.

This _may_ be fraught with peril, since it creates a race condition.

A better solution is to either:

  1.  Run fetchmail from /usr/local/etc/rc.d with the -d option,
      making it a daemon; enable user-ppp dynamic dialing.

  2.  Run fetchmail from ppp.linkup -- this is more elegant, in that
      it ONLY gets started when the link is up.

--
Matt Meola                                     Bailey, Colorado
Amateur Radio Operator - KC0DXW                http://www.qsl.net/kc0dxw