Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 06:56:12 -0400
From:      Andrew Arensburger <arensb@cfar.umd.edu>
To:        Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl Shared Library

On Mon, 18 May 1998 14:45:33 EDT, Patrick Gardella wrote:
> I am using the Perl Compiler with perl 5.003.  One of the things the author
> suggests is to compile libperl.a as a shared library.  He gives examples of
> Digital Unix and Linux, but neither of those work.  I've looked in the
> archives, and did not find anything specific to the perl shared library.

	Unfortunately, I can't give you a step-by-step walkthrough
either, but here's what I'd do (and have done, the last time I needed
to). And I don't have any FreeBSD machines handy, so I can't even look
it up easily.
	Look in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config and /usr/share/mk (?). These
are both repositories of recipes for building different types of
files; the first is for 'imake', the second is for Berkeley 'make'.

	If you're not familiar with 'imake' or the finer points of
'make', these files will look pretty cryptic and intimidating, but
don't let them get to you. Look for likely-looking strings (e.g.,
references to shared libraries in the comments, ".so.", etc.), and
experiment.

--
Andrew Arensburger, Systems guy		Center for Automation Research
arensb@cfar.umd.edu			University of Maryland