Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2011 00:41:03 -0500
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyway to change pool to use the gpt label instead of gptid?

On 10/24/2011 12:34 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 07:52:08PM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> Is there any way to convert this setup to use the GPT labels instead of the the
>> GPT UUID's in zpool status/zpool iostat?
> When you create your pool using GPT labels, it will prefer them over
> anything else on import. If it cannot find labels, it will switch to
> something else that looks like your VDEVs.
>
> If you want to switch to GPT labels when your pool already exist and you
> cannot export it (it holds root file system), you can create GPT labels
> with gpart(8), disable GPTIDs by adding the following line to
> /boot/loader.conf:
>
> 	kern.geom.label.gptid.enable=0
>
> Then you reboot and hope for the best. It will either pick GPT labels or
> ada<X>p<Y>.

It's picking ada<x>p<y>.  It looks like the system doesn't consistently
leave the /dev/gpt/* entry in.

After offlining and re-onlining some of the members, my /dev/gpt/
directory looks like:

$ ls /dev/gpt
disk1   disk3   swap0   swap1   swap2   swap3   swap4   swap5
$

So, I'm not sure what the system is doing.

After a reboot, the /dev/gpt/disk* entries will NOT be there.  IIRC, I
saw some code somewhere, that removes them
when zfs boots (either the gptboot or zfsloader code).

I'm wondering why this is done here, but I think(!) I'll be ok with the
ada<x>p<y> names.

I don't like the gptid/* names, since it makes the zpool status/iostat
lines too long, and messes up the columns.

Thanks for the reply.