Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:56:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Mickeler <steve@neptune.on.ca>
To:        "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
Cc:        linuxisp@friendly.jeffnet.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hung Modem

> for some reason if my modem get stuck in Off Hook mode with no actual
> connection to it (ie. call the modem and you get a bz signal, but no one
> is connected to it).  How can I reset it from remote?  I tried getting in
> telneting to the box and load kermit to try to access the modem via
> command line mode but no response from the modem.
>
> box is running RocketPort, mgetty, pppd, external modem.  Thanks.

Try going into /etc/inittab, start the line with that modem with a # ,
save the file, do an "init q" , then go back to inittab, take out the #
from that line, save the file and do another "init q"

If that doesnt work, nothin will !

|                Steve Mickeler  -- Steve@Neptune.On.Ca             |
|                      *** System Administrator ***                 |
|  Neptune Internet Services -- for more info -- Info@Neptune.On.Ca |
|  Catch me on #linux   -  (Stoney) -- http://www.neptune.on.ca     |
| Neptune Internet Services - Voice: 905-895-0898 Fax: 905-895-1759 |