Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:18:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IMAP -> POP3 gateway?

On  6-Oct-99 at 13:27, Ben Williams (williamsl@home.com) wrote:
> FreeBSD,
>
>   Does  anyone  know  how  I  could go about setting up an IMAP server
> (uw-imap "IMAP4rev1 v12.250" from ports) to talk to a pop3 server? The
> reason  I want to do this is the company I am working for has a custom
> smtp/pop3  server  which  holds all of its messages internally and the
> application  I  am  trying  to  put together for them already has IMAP
> support  built  into  to,  but  putting  the IMAP server on the system
> results in empty mailboxes because the custom smtp/pop3 is holding all
> the messages in non-standard ways and places.
>
> Any ideas and all help appreciated.

The Cyrus IMAP server comes with a POP daemon that translates the
POP requests into IMAP.  That's the exact opposite of what you want;
but it still might provide a framework.  (I'm assuming that it is
extremely unlikely that you could convince them to switch to a standard
IMAP server with POP access; even one like Cyrus that keeps all the
mail in a private area and forces access via IMAP/POP.)

-Pat