Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:22:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Carolyn Longfoot <clongfoot@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newfs Problem

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Carolyn Longfoot wrote:

> Using an Abit KT7A-RAID (Hightpoint IDE Raid) and two 60 gig IBM drives that are configured as RAID 0 (beautifully recognized as ar0 RAID 0 with two subdisk according to DMESG) I cannot get sysinstall (disklabel editor) to do a newfs on the RAID.
>
> The error message is this:
> DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype.
>
> Following earlier posts I did a 'MAKEDEV all' but no change.

I had this exact problem with the dell Perc raid controller with
4.3-stable. For whatever reason it didnt like the way I was laying out the
FS's. I remember getting this error but cant remember how I fixed it.

-Chris Watson         (816) 464-7780 | Sr. Unix Administrator
Work:           chris.watson@twa.com | Trans World Airlines, Kansas City, MO
Home:              scanner@jurai.net | http://www.twa.com
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"