Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 15:46:38 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        faq@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: entry on "calcru: negative time"

At 08:54 PM 12/1/98 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>In message <Pine.BSF.4.03.9812011106101.3658-100000@resnet.uoregon.edu>,
Doug W
>hite writes:
>>On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>
>>> Q:  My machine prints "calcru: negative time..."
>>
>>A thought on this.  Could we create a sysctl that shuts this message up?
>>I suspect some people are just going to have to live with it and they may
>>actually want to read their system log. :)  This is PC hardware; the
>>likelihood of it being fixed in the near future is about zero, unless we
>>have the ear of a large motherboard manufacturer or few.
>
>This is actually Very Bad News for a system, and running with it very
>quickly becomes very very irritating.  It is the same feeling as a
>bad-ram system, processes die left and right.
>
>Generally it is a particular piece of hardware, or a driver not doing
>what it needs to do about interrupts which is at fault.

I agree with Doug that it would be nice to shut this off. I have an early
MediaGX system which prints this message (but with times only four-digit
times). I don't have any programs dying on me, and the only hardware I
added to the machine was the RAM, a 540MB IDE HD, and a 3c905 (not B).

I'd really like to be able to shut off the calcru message.

Having a sysctl option for it, with a warning that calcru messages indicate
something bad, would be a good compromise, right?

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )