Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:09:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      michael@blueneptune.com
To:        mark@intrepid.net (Mark Conway Wirt)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sednmail 8.9.3 'trusted relaying'

> > Look for one of the user-must-authenticate-by-POP3-before-relaying
> > hacks.
>
> That's problematical, because some mailers (either IE or netscape for
> example -- I can't remember which) are set up the opposite; they are
> hard-wired to send before receiving, and it's alway a problem to tell
> your customers "no, you can't use your favorite mailer with us."

I believe the mailer which forces a send-before-receive is Outlook Express,
although I might be remembering this incorrectly.  This issue has been
discussed heavily in other areas, including the Usenet group
news.admin.net-abuse.email.  There are ways to use the POP-Before-SMTP
mechanismes even in this case --- there are a number of freeware/shareware
utilities out there that can be used to trigger a login to the POP
server.  Look for one of those (search the NANAE archives if you need
to), and then recommend it to customers who have an inflexible email
client.  It's simple enough for a user to keep it on their desktop and
run it before any email sessions, and certainly a -lot- less painful
than trying to get them to switch to a different email client.  Also,
if you tell a customer that the reason they have to do this is because
you are trying to crack down on spam abuse, most customers will rally
to your cause, even if it means they have to suffer a minor inconvenience.

If you want to discuss this further, let's either take this offline
into direct email, or take it to a more suitable forum.  This has
absolutely nothing to do with FreeBSD at this point...

--
Michael Bryan
michael@blueneptune.com