Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:27:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Mike Dorin <bsd_mike@hotmail.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Lockup problem continues...more info

On 2001-04-17, Ted Mittelstaedt scribbled:

# Hi Mike,
#
#   Don't get too caught up in thinking that just because it
# fails on the same file all the time that the problem is
# reproducible.  Your dealing with a random problem here, most
# definitely.

Heat problems can easily cause random lock-ups, reboots, hangs, data
corruption, etc. That can mean that since you (Mike) have probably
shutdown the computer improperly after a complete lock-up... this can
cause unrepairable damage to data on the hard drive, meaning that you
may have even more data that has been corrupted.

#   I agree with Linh's suggestion to check for heat problems.
# However, let me caution you - if you do find an overheating
# component and correct the problem (by installing a new fan,
# or heatsink) don't be surprised if problems continue.  Heat is
# a very bad thing for electronics - many components will be
# _permanently_ damaged by overheating, _espically_ if the overheating
# is chronic.  Besides feeling the chips as he suggests, make
# sure to get a can of compressed air and blow out the computer.

Also make sure that you clean out the power supply as well. Dust
collecting in the power supply unit can cause that to overheat, thus
leading to a poorer and less clean power going to your components
(mostly your processor and drives).

# (what I do myself with my home server computers, which are running
# 24x7 is once a year I shut them down and haul them out to the driveway
# and pull off their cases then hit them with shop air from a blowgun -
# it's handy to have an air compressor in the garage.  This is
# a good thing to do for monitors, too)

Another important part to keep as clean as possible is the heatsink/fan
unit on your processor. If there is a thick layer of dust (thick being
more than 1/8") covering the heatsink, heat dissipation is royally
reduced and can help your processor to overheat.

Over causes of random lock-ups can be conflicting IRQ's, poorly set
DMA/PIO modes for hard drives, bad drive cables, failing hardware
component (including processors, memory... which you have checked, hard
drives, etc.), etc.

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]