Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 12:53:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can not mount root on wd(2,a)

-- 2.2.2-RELEASE Installation ---

I am using an ASUS TX97-XE motherboard (w/ 430TX chipset), with 2 hard
drives (Quantum ST 3.2GB Ultra-DMA and Samsung 1GB cheapo). If I put the
cheap hard drive on "Primary Salve", the performance of the UltraDMA will
suffer. The interface needs to run in a common mode (PIO-4 since Samsung
is not U-DMA capable), so Ultra DMA transfers would be disabled.  So, I
have the Quantum as Primary Master and the Samsung as Secondary Master.

The kernel appropriately finds the drives as wd0 and wd2, but panics when
it can't mount root on wd0 (as it should). Fresh install w/
kernel.GENERIC. If I try to:

	Boot: wd(2,a)/kernel.GENERIC, it responds:
	Error: D: 0x82 C:0 H:0 S:0, and I need to reboot.

I have also tried wd(1,a)/kernel, which surprisingly boots the
kernel(???), but then can't mount root.

Any Suggestions?

Kevin

PS- Where are the docs for the "Boot:" options? It says [-abcCdghrsv] are
acceptable flags, but I can not find what many of these do. What's the man
page or FAQ?