Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 2020 17:31:07 -0400
From:      Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>
To:        "Scheffenegger, Richard" <Richard.Scheffenegger@netapp.com>
Cc:        "net@FreeBSD.org" <net@freebsd.org>, "transport@freebsd.org" <transport@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Socket option to configure Ethernet PCP / CoS per-flow

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 12:33 PM Scheffenegger, Richard
<Richard.Scheffenegger@netapp.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, upstream head has only an IOCTL API to set up interface-wide d=
efault PCP marking:

> #define  SIOCGVLANPCP    SIOCGLANPCP     /* Get VLAN PCP */
> #define   SIOCSVLANPCP    SIOCSLANPCP      /* Set VLAN PCP */
>
> And the interface is via ifconfig <if> pcp <x>.
>
> However, while this allows all traffic sent via a specific interface to b=
e marked with a PCP (priority code point), it defeats the purpose of PFC (p=
riority flow control) which works by individually pausing different queues =
of an interface, provided there is an actual differentiation of traffic int=
o those various classes.

> Internally, we have added a socket option (SO_VLAN_PCP) to change the PCP=
 specifically for traffic associated with that socket, to be marked differe=
ntly from whatever the interface default is (unmarked, or the default PCP).

> Does the community see value in having such a socket option widely availa=
ble? (Linux currently doesn't seem to have a per-socket option either, only=
 a per-interface IOCTL API).