Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:37:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        timcm@umich.edu (Tim McMillen)
Cc:        kstewart@urx.com (Kent Stewart), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-RW drive: how?

> > > I have an ATAPI CD-RW drive.
> > > FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE.
> > > The cdrecord port says it works with ATAPI CD-RW/CD-R.
> > > The /usr/share/examples/worm/burnit.sh is SCSI specific.
> > > The cdrecord keeps complaining that it needs a SCSI
> > > device.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have an ATAPI version of burnit.sh they want to
> > > share?
>
> > Most of us probably use burncd to do our ATAPI cdrom burning.
>
> 	Unfortunately there are now two ATAPI CDRW threads running, but oh
> well.  I dug up the mail sent to me by a guy using OpenBSD to record on
> the plexwriter 10/12/32  using cdrecord.

The "cdrecord" soloution, according to the autor, only works
if the IDE atached ATAPI drive is registered under the SCSI
subsystem, which it is in OpenBSD, but apparently isn't in
FreeBSD.

I have yet to look, since I have to reboot, but there is also
apparently a /sbin/burncd which should be used with ATAPI drives;
until I reboot, I won't know if this is part of the base system,
or if it comes in as a package or port.

There are apparently timing problems, unless you use "team",
per the burnit.sh in the /usr/share/examples/worm.  My best
guess would be that using rtprio in the same way as the script
couldn't hurt.

A reference that claims to be authroitative can be located at:

  <http://www.defcon1.org/html/Hardware_Articles/Zip-drive/Zip-Parallel/Wheel-Mouse/atapi.burning>;

I have yet to try this, so it might just be a complex formula
for creating coasters.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---