Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:33:01 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, shige@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xv patch for refresh problem

On Thursday 15 August 2002 10:17 am, Alan E wrote:
| On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 09:32:34AM -0400, Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:
| >[ooops . . . Hit send too soon. Forgot the primary recipient. Sorta
| >important.]
| >

| >There is a bug in xv 3.10a that causes it not to refresh properly with
| > recent releases of XFree86 and FreeBSD.  (Eg, it started getting really
| > bad when I upgraded to FreeBSD 4.6 and XFree86 4.2.)
|
| There's a command line option that fixes it, too. Do we need to do
| anything but force that on?
|
| The option is "-loadclear".

Wowsers.  I wish somebody had mentioned that before.  I'd sent mail to about a
half-dozen groups (but not this one, I guess) at earlier stages while I was
trying to figure this out.  Of course, I started out believing it to be a bug
in the X server or something since those had changed and xv had not.

Even my first-pass xv patch I submitted to the X groups not to here because I
was asking why this kludge (a nanowait for one nonosecond in my first
version) fixed it rather than thinking it was truly an xv bug.

Nonetheless, my opinion, now that I have a working patch, is that it's silly
to have to specify an option just to get basic functionality to work, and it
would be better to go ahead and apply the patch.

Not to mention the fact that it's a total kludge that "loadclear" even
*works*.  It's meant to solve problems with psuedocolor displays, which I am
not using.  So rather than being a fix it's more like a coincidence--the
equivalent of my preliminary "nanowait" patch rather than a real fix like the
current patch.

The FreeBSD port of xv already has a large number of patches, so it's not as
if we would be messing up the pristine state of the shipped xv by doing this,
nor is it as if there's any realistic hope that the "real" xv will get the
fix anytime soon.

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org