Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 20:45:59 +0300
From:      Tommi Leino <namhas@netmill.fi>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do i build a boot disk?

Dan Langille wrote:
> > I found no documentation concerning the building of a boot disk. I
> > have to build such a disk since I _can't_ use a boot manager, and
> > apparently there is no way to boot FreeBSD directly from Windows
> > or DOS in the way of loadlin for example. So, how do i build a boot
> > disk or is there an alternative way?
>
> It's on the ftp server in the file install.txt but you might want to see
> how I did it at http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd/install19990320.htm

Well, it didn't tell about how to build a _boot_ disk, it did however tell
how to build the _installation_ disks, kern.flp and mfsroot.flp. They are
only used for installation I think, at least I didn't manage to boot from
an already installed FreeBSD partition using a kern.flp.

--
Systems expert                       http://www.netmill.fi/
Tommi.Leino@netmill.fi               tel.   +358-9-612 623 43