Date:      Sun, 18 May 1997 17:07:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      John Birrell <jb@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au>
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org (Daniel M. Eischen)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNAT-pthreads integration bugs/questions

Daniel M. Eischen wrote:
> Is there any interest in making pthreads with rfork?  Or someway to get

Yes, there certainly is. It would solve many problems and leave us
with one libc plus a small libpthread.

We need John Dyson to add what is needed to the existing rfork. 8-)
And of course he always has too many things on his plate. 8-(

> a real process from a thread?  I thought about implementing Ada tasking
> using rfork, but it really wants to use pthreads.  A couple things I
> can't do with rfork (or don't know how to do using other mechanisms)
> is to explicitly set the stack size (as in pthread_attr_setstacksize),
> mutexes and condition variables (could use SYSV semaphores I suppose),
> and the ability to create a key (pthread_key_create) that is specific
> to each process - like taskVarAdd() in VxWorks :-)

I suspect that some of this will still need to done in user space, even
with an rfork implementation.

> Dan Eischen
> deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, 119 Cecil Street, South Melbourne Vic 3205, Australia