Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 00:48:35 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Stable kernels crashes on two machines. WAS: CVSUP woes for stable branch

Jay West (jlwest@tseinc.com) wrote:

>Maybe someone can shed some light on this...
>
>I installed 2.2.2-Release via FTP. All went well. I then
>grabbed the staticly linked copy of CVSup, and the
>supfile from www.freebsd.org.  I ran cvsup supfile intending
>to go to -stable, and it appeared to bring down a fairly small
>number of files. I tried a make world, but the makefile no longer
>includes that option. So... I just did a make depend and make
>and make install. Rebooted the system, and whammo - wouldn't
>reboot. It kept complaining about page fault panic or such, and
>just kept autobooting, running fsck, then autobooting etc.
>
>I ran cvsup pointed at sup.freebsd.org on sunday, September 28
>at around 9:00am.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Jay West (jlwest@tseinc.com)
>
>Unix *IS* user friendly; It's just selective about who it calls a friend!

I have a similar problem.

After installing 2.2.2 Release, I fetched the stable-src and ports,
compiled cvsup port (not statically linked here...) and recompiled the
kernel. Then I rebooted, and everything went black. This was done remote...
:(  I pinged to check, but it never came up. I went to the box today and it
"kept autobooting, running fsck, then autobooting etc.".

This was with a PPro 200. I also did the same thing with a 486 dx2/66 at
home. I installed Release 222 and cvsup (dynamically linked, but version
15.0) from a CD this time (as opposed to ftp above). This kernel doesn't
work either, but not in the same way, and it does give me a few lines of
explanation before i dies:

rc.i386 configuring syscons: keymap keyrate font8x16 font8x14 font 8x8
screensaver

fault virtual address	= 0x0
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0x0
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xefbffd74
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xefbffd7c
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 137 (modload)
interrupt mask		=
panic: page fault

syncing disk... 30 30 27 21 7 done
Automatic reboot  in 15 secs.....

Any ideas? The setups are quite different, and have different config files.

Regards,
Palle

Palle Girgensohn                          Partitur Informationsteknik AB
girgen@partitur.se                               http://www.partitur.se/