Date:      Wed, 03 Sep 1997 19:54:04 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snd970903.tgz and pnp970903.tgz

For short burst audio streams you probably want to do programmed i/o
and we don't support that right now however you can modify
one the ad1848 driver to do it.

It sounds like what you may want is something similar to an analog's
dsp 2181 and I intent to order their development kit sometime
this week. It would be nice if we can start a project to support
dsp like algorithms for FreeBSD. My first cut at a  full
integrated package is to write a driver for Omnimedia's Z-Lite
which has a DEC 21230 which is somewhat programmable,
for video input decoding it has a Phillips SAA 7111 and for
audio an Analog DSP 2181. If anyone knows of ISA or better yet
a PCI sound card which just has an Analog's DSP 2181 please
let me know.

Why the dsp 2181? It is currently used in Omnimedia's real time
mpeg encoder/decoder and it will propably not be hard to support
full duplex via its ad1849 mode.

I own a mediatrix's audiotrix pro which is a high quality sound card
and it has a cs4231 which is fully capable of doing full duplex
I/O with the guspnp driver  and I suspect that with a little
tweaking  Luigi's sound driver it will also work.
If you are interested check out http://www.mediatrix.com

	Amancio