Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:06:57 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bilingual lib*crypt?

Hello,

I'm curious: I have a few systems running with md5 crypt. Now I need to
sync their passwords with some other unix dialect using NIS, and I
suppose I need des crypted passwords for this to work smoothly (work at
all, actually?), since that is what most other dialects use.

I've read that if I install des "on top of" md5, old md5 passwords are
recognized, but new ones are crypted with des (once the user changes the
pw). When was this code checked into stable (about?), i.e. how old
systems have this functionality?

Also, my real question is this: is this part of libdescrypt? That is,
will it work this way for all apps using crypt, or just for passwords?

Do I need to recompile all apps using crypt, or will libc be sufficient?
If the previous, have you any tips on how to find out which apps (read
ports) that uses libcrypt, besides manually checking each port?

/Palle