Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:25:58 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Richard Glidden <richard@glidden.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dropping to single user

> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:17:49 -0500 (EST)
> From: Richard Glidden <richard@glidden.org>
>
> On 19 Feb, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > Using the recommended order (as per the handbook) you know that the
> > new kernel is bootable and, if it is not, you simply boot kernel.old
> > and are right back where you were while you figure out what went
> > wrong.
> >
> > Once you do an installworld, you really can't back out in any sure way
> > other than a re-install. Not a lot of fun.
>
> Good point.  It does make much more sense to test the kernel before
> clobbering your world.
>
> > I see no advantage to breaking the kernel build into two steps if you
> > plan to boot the new kernel immediately.
>
> If you run with kern.securelevel >= 1, then won't it be impossible to
> install the kernel without first rebooting into single-user?  The kernel
> is flaged schg, so it can't be modified unless you remove the schg flag,
> which is (according to init(8)) impossible at that secure level.

Yes, this is true. I don't run an elevated kern.securelevel, so I
overlooked this issue. Sorry.

> It also lets you build while the machine is in multi-user, and install
> while in single-user, which ensures that your installation doesn't
> affect any logged-in users before you reboot, and the users don't affect
> your installation.

Installation of the kernel is safe while in multi-user mode as it only
creates a new /kernel and new /modules (and renames the old ones
/kernel.old and /modules.old), neither of which will effect the
running system unless you do a kldload. (I am assuming that no one
with su would do such a thing with you not knowing it.)

I try to minimize the time the system is in single-user mode. I even
do things that are unsafe on occasion, but I never recommend them to
others.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)