Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 09:49:35 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
Cc:        Mike Fisher <mfisher@csh.rit.edu>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web Statistics break up program.

Stuart Henderson wrote:

> Mike Fisher <mfisher@csh.rit.edu> wrote:
> > I don't think that will work, as-is.  I think that it is necessary
> > to send apache a signal to get it to rotate its logs.
>
> Very true, this will do the trick:
>
>         kill -1 `cat /var/run/httpd.pid`
>
> Otherwise Apache will start writing at the same offset
> i.e. leave a load of blank space at the start of the new
> log file. I'm not sure whether this is written as a
> sparse file or not (if so it's not too much of a problem
> but the reported size might end up a little scary :)

I'm missing some context here as I didn't see the post from Mike Fisher,
but the above is not what I observe, if you do say

mv httpd-access.log httpd-access.log.$TODAY

(within the one filesystem).

Apache continues to append to the renamed file until signalled - it
doesn't start a new file.

I assume that what's happening here is that the inode number of the file
is what counts, and the inode number is unchanged in the mv.

If it started a new file after the mv, then presumably it could do that
before the SIGHUP with a busy server.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna