Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 15:19:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Safety of MS-DOS F/S on 2.2-BETA

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Peter van Heusden wrote:

> Does anyone know if the MS-DOS F/S is safe for use on FreeBSD 2.2-BETA,
> with the MS-DOS partition being a Windows95 VFAT-16 one? I recall in the
> past that there were seriously problems with this filesystem, including
> the possibility of corrupting non-MS-DOS partitions.

There is a problem with the clusterlength guessing code in the msdosfs
code if you used FIPS on the filesystem.  If you didn't, you should be OK.
Just umount it if you get the warning: root is not a multiple of
clustersize in length message.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo