Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 10:54:56 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        pvinci@ix.netcom.com (Paul Vinciguerra)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   LAN Mag:  NT better than unix - Why?

<<On Mon, 19 Jun 1995 21:29:01 -0700, pvinci@ix.netcom.com (Paul Vinciguerra) said:

> On page 92 of LAN mag., they push NT over unix for httpd.
> "The NT server will blow the doors off that unix server."

> They cite the reasons as follows:  NT is multithreaded, and it has a
> richer socket interface.

> HOW CAN THEY GET AWAY WITH THAT?

Because, like all trade rags, they are paid flacks for their
advertisers, and aren't smart enough to form opinions on their own.
Microsoft has the largest advertising budget in the software industry.
Therefore, lots of people will write all sorts of nonsense to keep
them happy.

> Doesn't unix also have threaded support?  And how does a socket
> interface increase performance?

It doesn't.  As I said, they people who write for these magazines
aren't generally competent enough to understand what they're writing
about.  What you read was likely a direct paraphrase from a MS press
release.

> How do you cut through all the hype?

Don't read trade mags, they make your brain rot.  Especially don't
let your management read them, unless you are absolutely certain that
they have a clue.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.