Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:36:41 +0100
From:      Thierry Thomas <thierry@pompo.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Susceptibility of Dell 8200 to thermal stress/fatigue?

Le Jeu  2 déc 04 à  2:05:43 +0100, David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
 écrivait :
> Now, it looks as if the Dell Latitude C840 is fairly similar to the
> Inspiron 8200.  As far as running FreEBSD on the machine, are there any
> salient differences?

My company's machine is also an Inspiron 8200, and it was quite noisy.
One day, a Dell tech came on the spot, and I asked him about that. He
explained me that this is a known problem: Latitude and Inspiron are
similar, but Inspiron has two fans, and several Inspiron have been
misconfigured as Latitude, and only one fan is used. You can check the
back of your laptop and see how many fan(s) turn(s).

He flashed my BIOS from his CD, and the problem has been solved [unless
I recompile KDE or run some heavy program ;-) ].

Regards,
--
Th. Thomas.