Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:33:53 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Sm rgrav)
Cc:        freebsd-install@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions to the gurus :)

> On the functional side, I'm thinking about a system of .inf files
> which specify the name, location and size of each distribution, as
> well as the long description, dependencies etc. (hmmm... perhaps we
> could even use the pkg format for the distributions...) With some
> minor work, this could mean that a single boot floppy could be used to
> install any version of FreeBSD. If the floppy is older than the
> version you want to install, you can just download the .inf file...

Sure.  But you're not going far enough.  I'm not really ready to
release this, but holding it back longer will not help the cause any
more than putting it out for wider scrutiny.  Please find attached an
early draft of a document describing parts of the new package scheme.

Some relevant issues that may not be obvious from the document:

 - Packages are shipped in Zip-format files.  We have a contributed
   library that allows us to work on these directly, without needing
   to unpack the entire package somewhere first.

 - The base operating system will be packaged using this scheme.

 - There will be a database backend responsible for tracking
   package(s) owning file(s).a

 - The install scripts packaged with the base OS components will be
   responsible for installing the components.  Non-component setup will
   still have to be handled by the installer.

> Same goes for support for serial consoles of varying arcanity
> (arcaneness? sp?) - I think sysinstall should support as many
> terminals as possible (headless

We have a couple of UI options currently under consideration; Borland's
TurboVision is one, there is another, hopefully friendlier, UI under
development by another contributor.  We expect to see an early cut of
this in a week or so.

There has been not inconsiderable discussion about using a diagrammatic
rather than procedural path through the installer, somewhat akin to the
way that InstallShield behaves.  A document describing this is
currently outstanding.

> How concerned should I be about screen size? Can I safely assume no
> resizing will take place? Can I safely assume that the screen will be
> at least 60 columns wide, and at least 15 or 20 lines tall?

Expect that 80x24 is the limit.

> Is libdialog a big win, or is it OK to code directly against
> libncurses?

Avoid interminging UI code and backend code.

> More questions will come when I think of them...

If you want something really helpful, very important, and likely to
result in lots of discussion and a strong ongoing commitment, might I
humbly suggest that you install everything from a recent 3.0 snapshot
on a fresh machine (or some other equivalent technique), and start
dividing the base operating system into categories?  By this I mean
make a list of individual *files* that comprise each category.

I would suggest the following categories:

 - base		Base system components required for operation
 - devel	Compiler, linker, headers, static libraries, etc.
		Subdivide into devel-base, devel-c++, devel-objc, etc.
 - text		Text processing tools (*roff, etc)
 - manpages	Subdivide into manpages-base, manpages-devel, etc.

as starters.  I'm sure you can come up with more.  There are also
obviously dependancies involved too.