Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 98 16:23:23 -0500
From:      Rob Levandowski <robl@phoebe.accinet.net>
To:        "George Ellenburg" <gme@sundial.net>, <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, <davidg@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Matt Stein" <matt@ican.net>
Subject:   Re: Year 2000 compliance statement?

which my company requires of all hardware and software vendors --
commercial or volunteer -- whose products are currently in use...]

On 2/5/98 2:49 PM, George Ellenburg (gme@sundial.net) wrote:

>I think I speak for everyone in the FreeBSD Community when I say that
>FreeBSD is a FREE Operating system, just like Linux.  As far as Y2K goes,
>it inherently is compatible (the operating system) but some of the apps
>which run on it may not be.
>
>Tell your bosses though that if they want a Y2K statement they can spend
>$5000 and buy BSD/OS 3.1.  Otherwise, you're stuck without a compliance
>statement.  A community made up of nothing but volunteers doesn't need to
>worry with this kind of stuff.

Thanks so much.  With a response like this, my work to build support for
FreeBSD within the company is worthless; I will be forced to cast aside
my investment in this OS, and redeploy all my work on other platforms
whose vendors do recognize the Y2K problem.

This, for the price of a simple note stating that the OS is Y2K
compliant, or that users must apply certain patches to the core OS to be
Y2K compliant.

Previously, I had been a strong supporter of FreeBSD.  This note is
making me reconsider that.  The advantages of FreeBSD aren't worth this
level of arrogance and hubris.  If I wanted a "tough sh*t" attitude, I
could run Microsoft software.  It's too bad that the FreeBSD "community
made up of nothing of volunteers" doesn't feel the need to worry about
their OS being acceptable to a business world concerned about losing
everything on January 1, 2000.  Apparently FreeBSD isn't "just like
Linux," because I was able to find a Linux web site stating Y2K
compliance levels <http://www.linux.org.uk/mbug.html>.

Robert Levandowski
UNIX Systems Administrator
ACC TeleCom